What you need:
115g unsalted butter (at room temp for at least 20 mins)
220g full fat cream cheese
280g smooth peanut butter
400g icing sugar
Couple of tablespoons of milk
- Mix the butter and cream cheese together in a big bowl. If you're using a mixer, use a decent mixer..otherwise you will soon have a congealed mess and be picking it off the blades. This is also why it's important to have the butter at room temperature, as the softer it is, the easier it is to work with.
- Next add the peanut butter and mix together. Once mixed, I often find using an old fashioned wooden spoon to mix the remainder a good way to check it's all blended. Plus, you get to lick the spoon.
- This next bit is the bit you have be patient with. Start mixing the ingredients again, and slowly but surely add the icing sugar bit by bit. 400g icing sugar is quite a lot, and if you do it too quickly, you will have a powdery mess and you need to get the consistency right. If you think the mixture is too powdery, add a tablespoon of milk. If it's looking too runny, get adding the icing sugar.
- Make sure the mixture is well mixed, and that the consistency is very smooth, not lumpy or too runny. I like to put in the fridge for a couple of minutes to make sure.
- You can then spoon into a piping bag and frost your cupcakes, or you can spread in a cake, over a cake, or into your mouth if you're feeling naughty.
In the bowl in the photo is what I had left, so the recipe does make quite a bit of frosting, but it is the best frosting in the world so why would you complain? Hope this has made your taste buds dance, and if you're not a fan of peanut butter (although 'why' should be the question) you can always substitute the peanut butter for nutella..too good for words!